Thursday, February 18, 2010

Creative Writing - Sleepless

Your cigarette burns out in my flesh
Just as your life ends in my arms
I cry out, at least that's what I think
You've left me in so many ways...

I breathe.

I'm underground, digging upwards
Disorientation, confusion, I'm blinded
I start to give up, begin to tire.
The search teams keep searching...

I breathe.

I toss and I turn, you've already left.
Used and wasted, now sleeping alone
Who am I to expect you to come back?
The sheet is too thin to hide beneath
It doesn't matter, no one is here to see...

I breathe.

My eyes tear open, as they do nightly.
Nothing has changed. No one has stirred.
The walls still dimly illuminated by the alarm clock on the table.
Black beams, paisley doused walls, sage green carpet
It all goes untouched.
As if nothing ever happened.

1 comment:

  1. i like this poem a lot lauren.
    it's very intense and i think that
    people could interpret it in many ways.

    ReplyDelete